Tuesday, July 3, 2018

10 years in the making

So I've been wondering.............is it perfectionism or a fear of failure that makes someone wait 10 (TEN!) years to make an outfit? I'd like to say it's a combination of both. 😊 I've wanted to sew this ensemble since I first saw the movie Prince Caspian in theater, back in 2008. But for once in my sewing career I wanted it to be exactly like the original. Usually I put my own twist on it. Change something in it to make it *mine*. Sometimes that simply means doing it in a different color. But for this dress I wanted it just like the one Anna Popplewell wears. A square necked, light blue under-dress, over which is a well fitted bodice done in purple, a daffodil motif appliqued on the front. Tight sleeves with slashes below the elbow (she is an archeress, and needs the room to draw her bow), with scalloped peplums. A princess seamed, floor length skirt with a opening in the center front through which you can see the skirt of the under-dress. 


As you can see, there are different elements to this dress. As I studied it I found more details, which I liked. It's the little details that make something unique and different. I also realized it wasn't going to be the quickest, or easiest, outfit to sew. But that was ok. Just so long as it looked like I'd stepped out of Narnia when I wore it. :-) As we walked out of the theater my brain was already working through the whole sewing process. I never thought it'd take me this long to complete it. Better late than never, right? 


So just as this dress took plenty of time to make, it's going to take several blog posts to cover all the different parts of it. Consider this the intro. 🙂


No comments:

Post a Comment